Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Summer Blessings

Ahhhhhhh.....  That is not a yelling ah, but an ah of joy and relief.  I am so thankful that after several years of contemplating (and tears) that my husband was able to convince me that the decision for me to stay home could happen a little earlier than we had planned (this year instead of next). 

This summer has been a true blessing for my spirit.  It sounds dumb to say you are 'nervous' to stay home everyday with your own children, but I was just that.  I have worked since I was 15 years old.  Being a salary earner for our family was part of my identity.  Being the sole earner for 4 years while Brian was in school was a must. 

The transition to being at home was a lot smoother than I thought it would be.  Our summer schedule was not even a schedule.  It was a 'get up whatever time you wake up' summer.  Thankfully, we now have a toddler that likes to sleep in like his mommy (even if he still gets up several times during the night).  :)

As I type this blog entry the school bell just rang down at the elementary school for the first day of school.  Another ahhhhh moment (again, not a yelling ah).  My littlest ones are not even out of bed yet!  We have decided to start homeschooling this year.  We actually started a few days ago.  We are easing into that schedule too.

My world is a much better place when done at an easy pace.  Not a hectic pace.  Not a harried pace.  Not on someone else's time schedule.

Summer blessings:  no schedule, ice cream trucks, swimming, slip and slides, learning about the world around us from a child's point-of-view.

Fall is in the air now.  Windows are open.  Cool breezes.  My favorite time of year.

2 comments:

Ellie said...

Love this post!! I am proud of you! Best of luck on your schooling adventure :) Love ya!

Barb said...

Yay for you, Alana! I so wish I could home school Emma. You are such an amazing woman. :)
Em is looking forward to Chaos so she can spend some time with Ethan.