Well (insert sigh)....we made it through another 10-day sprint as we call it here in Sankeyville. We have 3 birthdays and Christmas in a 10-day span (Dec 15-25th).
We had lots of good food (i.e. expanding waistlines), made lots of goodies (i.e. expanding waistlines), ate lots of birthday cake (note 3 birthdays above which equals expanding waistlines) and had visits from lots of friends and family (i.e.laughter therapy that hopefully helped reduce above mentioned expanding waistlines).
Brian turned 41. Not a big celebratory number as far as birthdays go. But the very important thing about 41 is that when he started his nine year plan to become a physician it was always, "I will be 41 when I am finally in practice." Well, 41 has finally arrived. (insert big happy face here!)
Graysen turned 2 on December 23rd. He is such sweet little boy. He loves yogurt and drinking from a straw. His dad and sisters introduced him to chocolate milk the other day. The next morning he was standing in the fridge (yes, in the fridge) pointing at the Hershey's syrup and yelling. I just looked at Brian and rolled my eyes. He loves cell phones, DS's and any other toys that he can get his hands on that belong to his older siblings. Ella is his second mommy and he often goes to her first when he gets hurt (insert mommy sad face here).
Carly turned 5 on Christmas Day. She still believes all the Christmas lights are her birthday lights (I hope she believes this forever). December 25th is starting to overwhelm her a bit. We were up at 6am to do Santa and then we opened our family gifts. We then switch to Carly birthday mode in the afternoon. Her godparents (and their kids) came over and celebrated with us. We had a Buzz Lightyear cake that one of the gals from Happy Time (the kids' old preschool) made. She loved the cake ("Mom, it exactly what I wanted! Insert Mom comment: 'I am so glad, because it saved me hours of not having to make little frosting dots which I don't have the patience for!") By the time she had opened all of her presents she came up to me and quietly whispered that she wanted to open more presents. Sigh. She wasn't being bratty, just honest. How do you explain to this not-so-consolable child that this is it for presents for her for the next 364 days. I know....we may have to start considering the half birthday idea for her. Or maybe this is just a life lesson she is going to learn (endure) from a young age.
We are now into a new week. Brian had to go back to work today (he was on vacation last week). He is chief for the next 2 weeks which means some long hours. Only 6 more months I keep reminding myself. The kids are off school for another week. They are running around and playing with their new toys and going to friends' houses to check out their new toys.
We were up most of the night on Christmas Eve and Christmas because Graysen got croup. We have all had the sniffles and sneezes as of late. I am ready for Spring (I know this is wishful thinking). We did have a beautiful white Christmas (8 inches of snow fell on Christmas Eve). We do live in Iowa, and we do have crappy winters. I don't mind an occasional blizzard if all of my family is home and safe. I just really don't like ice or being cold. Thank goodness for warm blankets and snuggling! :)
I hope all of your Christmases were joyful! I hope your new year is blessed! There are so many things to be thankful for everyday!
Off to chase my monkeys....maybe that will help with the expanding waistline! Or else when the monkeys are in bed tonight I will be looking into ordering a new treadmill! :)
Alana
2 comments:
And it was great to share in the celebrations. The Sankey gang is full of love and make me smile almost all the time. They're a real blessing.
It sounds like you all had a wonderful Christmas! Enjoy the New Year!
Post a Comment